Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Update: August & September

Okay... I have been really bad at blogging! And now I need to catch back up.

This summer felt like it went really fast!  It seems like just last month we were in Cancun and school has now been going for a month! Holy Cow!!!  We finished off the summer with some fun family trips for camping.  The first week of August we went to the "Godfrey Games" with Ryan's Mom's side of the family.  They have an annual family reunion that usually has a theme and this year it was based on the Hunger Games series.  We got up there on Wednesday and stayed through Friday.  It was dusty, hot and fun.  We were up just outside of Yellowstone park near Island Park (I think?).  We went to a lake to swim and canoe, we went on a fun hike, we played in the river (which was REALLY, REALLY cold), and we just had a good time.

Happy 1 Year Anniversary!!!

While we were up camping Ryan and I celebrated our 1 Year Anniversary!!! :)  The family was really great about remembering and making it known that they remembered it was our anniversary.  For dinner that night, they set up a little table that was set off from the rest and had nice plates (not plastic), flowers, little paper hearts and soft romantic music.  It was awesome! I wish I had pictures, but I know Ryan's dad has some of it.  It was a good fun week with family.

A few weeks later we had our Ward Campout.  Ryan had been assigned to be in charge of it.  It was a very overwhelming job for him, but he did good.  There were a few little bumps during the first night but it all worked out in the end.  :) We decided not to stay over night because we didn't want to set up our stuff for only one night.  We stayed and played games while the kids watched a movie we projected up for them.  It was a fun night.  Ryan did an amazing job with the campout. 

The last weekend before school started we drove up to Idaho to go to Ryan's cousin Bryce's missionary farewell.  We drove up on Saturday and Talena rode with us.  We went to Grandma & Grandpa Born's house for dinner and games that night.  Dinner was amazing and then we had a very fun game of Tripoly.

After spending the night at Grandma & Grandpa Godfrey's house we went to Bryce's farewell.  He gave a really good talk in sacrament meeting.  After the meeting we went over to his parents house for lunch and visiting.  Ryan was really excited to see Bryce make the choice to go and serve the Lord and help to spread the gospel with the people in Oklahoma.

After the lunch we drove Ryan's sister Elly down to Logan were she was going to be starting back to school the next day.  Then we drove down to Ryan's sister Neesha's house for dinner with the family.  We had a fun time after dinner with their kids in the yard.  I think their favorite thing was riding on Uncle Mo while he galloped around the yard.





So... Ryan started back to school the last week of August.  He wasn't too excited about having to start but he's doing really good with his grades.  He's taking a full schedule and working 36ish hours a week.  He is a hard working, amazing man! 

I have been waiting since last April as an Alternate for the Nursing Program at WSU, hoping and praying to get a call telling me that I was in.  The first day of school came and I still had not been called.  I was really down and frustrated about not taking classes for another semester. I was feeling like nothing was happening like it should.  My desires were worthy and I knew that I was doing what the Lord wanted me to do... so why then was I not getting in?  The only thing that was keeping me in check was that I still had my job and they were going to work well with me once I got into the program....

Well... that first week of school my boss approached me while at work and asked me about what my plans were for Fall classes.  When I told her that I wasn't taking any classes and that I hadn't been contacted from the Nursing Program.  She then told me that we would sit and talk the next week about when my last day of work would be.... WHAT?!?!?!? (that was my reaction).  As it turned out they were not going to be able to keep me on.  The position I was in was a student worker position and because I wasn't going to be taking classes for the fall I wasn't going to be getting the federal work study funding that they would need to keep me on.  They felt terrible and there was nothing that they could do about it.  They had already been paying my wages out of their own budget since January and just couldn't keep doing it.  When my boss told the rest of the office a few of my co-workers were a little upset.  One of them came to me and expressed her displeasure over everything.  Another of my co-workers came to me asking what they were going to do without me; she said she wasn't worried about me, saying that I was going to land on my feet, but she didn't think that the office was going to function without me. 

Even with their expressed sorrow over the entire thing, I felt like I was being kicked while I was already down! I was so hurt and so confused. Why was this happening to me???  I had no answers and I was starting to really get depressed and down about everything.  My work was really good to keep me on for two more weeks to help me look for another job before they let me go.  The job hunt was not going very well. I had a few interviews, but once they heard that I could only commit through December they weren't interested.

On my last day of work my mom called me up and asked if I could help her out the next day.  My grandpa had been really sick and had been in and out of the hospital.  He was now back at home and needed some help.  My mom and her brothers had been taking turns staying with him and my grandma 24/7. She needed me to help with one of the days that none of them could get off work and my mom was out of town... so I went down and helped them out.  My mom told me that she and her brothers were going to get together that Sunday and decided what they were going to do... none of them could keep taking that much time off and my grandpa couldn't be on his own.  I knew what they were all thinking; they were thinking of putting him in a care center while he got his strength back.  I knew that this was not going to be a good idea.  He would not get the one-on-one attention he needed to start recovering and it would probably break his spirit (not to mention it would be expensive).  I told her my opinion and asked her to share it with her brothers so that they knew what to expect if they decided to put him in a care center.

Sunday morning my mom called me up to ask me a question.  She wanted to know if I would be willing to come down and help care for my grandpa if they could compensate me for my time that I wouldn't be able to work.  I agreed without hesitation and knew that this would be the best thing for my grandpa.  My mom suggested it to my uncles and grandparents that night and they were all for it.  So... I am now going to be going down to Orem from Wednesday morning through Friday evening to help my grandparents. 

After all of the craziness and frustration and stress over not getting into the Nursing Program and then losing my job, I was starting to feel like thinks were going to be okay.  Both Ryan and my mom both told me that while everything was happening they knew that there was a reason; they both said that they didn't think I would loose my job for nothing.  They both though that maybe the reason I got let go from my campus job was so that I could help my family when they needed my help.

It was a real tender mercy to see how the Lord was setting things up for me to be ready for my family and the need they had of me, even if that was to not get into the Nursing Program and to loose my job.  It is amazing how the Lord works in our lives.  He puts us on the path that is best for us even when it seems like that path may not be the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment